Thursday, February 4, 2010

Magazine Trash Can

Today I am going to show you my steps to making this magazine wastebasket I found here: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/look/look-recycled-magazine-wastebasket-050277

It was also in The Big Ass Book Of Crafts.

First of all you will need
Magazines
Glue
Hot Glue Gun
Something Round

The first step is to cut several 2in strips from the pages ( cutting the pages the long way)

Then you need to fold the strips starting at one end fold over a piece about 1/2in long and keep folding. Then on the last fold you will want to glue it so it is secure.



When you have several strips you will start rolling them, and keep gluing the strip you are adding each time.



  



And keep going...



Go until you have reached your desired size of the bottom.

You will then need to use your round object to create the sides. I am using a round foundation bottle. You need to take your strip and glue it togeter creating an open circle




After you have your open circles created you will need to start hot gluing them to the base so that they sit evenly with the bottom. (I could not get a good pic of this)


Then you keep adding circles until you get to the desired height. Mine is not finished yet but when I am finished I will add more pictures.

Placing should be between previous circles



 

looking from the top down

3 comments:

  1. My son is going to try this for his reuse, renew, and recycle project for school. He's so excited. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused on the step for the walls. Do you put the paper around the round object and then add glue to the rest of it and roll it??? I'm going to try doing that but I'm very skeptical about it, because wouldn't you have to hold the paper while rolling it??
    But it is a great idea and other than that one part, you did a good job. I'm going to try it even though I might get confused on that part, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete